New York City– Wistful skaters descended on Central Park on Sunday for what they believed would be their last trip on the ice for the season, after the Trump Company quickly announced that the 2 ice rinks there would close as the city transferred to end its contracts following the Capitol riot.
But after problems mounted throughout the day over the loss of a valuable place for outside entertainment and workout throughout the pandemic– and as some New Yorkers, in spite of previous President Donald Trump’s unpopularity in his house city, faulted City Hall for ending the agreements early– Mayor Costs de Blasio’s workplace stated Sunday evening that the rinks would stay open for the season.
” New York City kids should have all the time on the ice they can get this year,” the mayor’s press secretary, Bill Neidhardt, said in a declaration. “The Wollman and Lasker rinks will stay open under present management for the couple of weeks left in this season. Make no error, we will not be doing business with the Trump Organization going forward. Prompting an insurrection will never be forgotten or forgiven.”
Wollman Rink and Lasker Rink– memory-makers for generations of New Yorkers– will be open as typical Monday, city authorities said.
Trump’s company had blamed the city when it had stated the rinks were to close at the end of service Sunday. The Trump Company, which has actually run the rinks since the 1980 s, said city officials had purchased the company to clear out by Feb. 26, ahead of the present agreement’s expiration in April, and said it required to shut a few days previously.
It was unclear why the city had set that deadline; quotes are not due till March 19 in the competitive