- Explore more race results listed below.
- Democratic Sen. Gary Peters won a Senate race in Michigan against Republican challenger John James, according to Decision Desk HQ.
- Democrats hoped a Peters victory would help win back the Senate majority, however James’ compelling background and fundraising skill made him one of the greatest GOP hires this cycle.
- See the live coverage and complete arise from the US Senate elections
- Check out Organization Expert’s homepage for more stories
Peters, a previous House agent from the Detroit area, was first chosen to the Senate in 2014 and was looking for a 2nd term.
He’s ranked as one of the most bipartisan members of the Senate by Georgetown University’s Lugar Center and has actually emphasized his record of working behind the scenes on Capitol Hill to secure concrete achievements on the campaign trail.
As a Republican running in a state that President Donald Trump won by a margin of only 0.3 percentage points in 2016, James struck a fragile balance in between emphasizing his conservative bonafides while developing some distance in between his quote for workplace and Trump, mainly framing himself as part of an up-and-coming generation of Republican leaders
As James lost the 2018 Senate race to Stabenow, Michigan elected Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and several other statewide Democratic authorities and flipped 2 rural US Home seats, the 8th and 11 th Congressional Districts, from Republican to Democratic control.
Going into the election, Democrats hoped to gain back control of the Senate for the very first time because2015
In 2020, James had to contend with Trump– who is getting disappointing marks from Michigan citizens on his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic— running at the top of the ticket.
The money race
Though an incredibly competitive charity event, James still raised and invested slightly less than Pet